Vino Nobile – get to know one of the world’s most prestigious wines
Wine has been made with grapes grown on the hills around the noble, noble and walled city of Montepulciano in southern Tuscany for over 2000 years. This medieval town lies on a hill in the province of Siena and here the soils are sandy and muddy. A warm Mediterranean climate surrounds these wonderful vineyards. Here are many good wines such as Chianti Classico, Brunello di Montalcino and Super Toscans, to name a few of these Italian wine classics.
Tuscany’s most noble wine is undoubtedly Vino Nobile di Montepulciano,loved by kings and presidents.
Even the wine connoisseur and collector’s President Thomas Jefferson fell for Vino Nobile’s tasteful wine profile and made it his favorite wine.
Vino Nobile di Montepulciano should not be confused with Montepulciano d’Abruzzo, made by the Montepulciano grape. Despite the similar names, Vino Nobile di Montepulciano and Montepulciano d’Abruzzo do not have much in common. Firstly, Montepulciano is a grape of its own and partly Abruzzo is a region of central Italy that does not even border Tuscany.
Vino Nobile di Montepulciano is a 100% Tuscan DOCG and one of Italy’s oldest wines produced by strict regulations. In Vino Nobile di Montepulciano, Italy’s most popular grape, Sangiovese, has to be at least 70% in the grape mix. The remaining 30% consists of a mix of the grapes Prugnolo Gentile, Canaiolo or Canaiolo Nero and the grape Mammolo.
The vinification of this wine takes place according to traditional methods, generally with a long maceration and then storage on barrels for at least 26 months. Mostly, Montepulciano’s Nobile wines of the same grapes have been manufactured since 1580.
In the 1960s, the certification for Vino Nobile, Nobile DOC and these wines became the first wines to receive the very prestigious DOCG label in 1980.